Monday, July 19, 2021

My Walk on the Aikido Path by Rachel Kling

 


Title: My Walk on the Aikido Path: A Healing Journey of Self-Discovery Author: Rachel Kling Series Title: no series Published: April 20th, 2021 Pages: 402 Format: Kindle Source: Given for an honest review by author



My Review: My Walk on the Aikido Path is an autobiography for the author's personal journey of her gaining control of her life. After suffering from severe depression and childhood trauma, she falls into a state of unawareness. After years of suffering she find Aikido, a Japanese martial art about balance and self-awareness. Her journey to balance was not easy. but through determination and perseverance, she has proven anything can be possible.

Aikido itself is a difficult and highly disciplined art. It requires patience and constant training. Rachel Kling expressed her passion and appreciation for this art heavily in her memoir. You can see how much growth she has made in her journey from discovering Aikido, to her realization that the martial art is her "home." From Rachel's hard life as a child to adulthood, you can see the typical signs of depression. As a person who struggles with depression, I felt like I was reading my own thoughts when describing it.
The only issue I have with My Walk on the Aikido Path is I wish the author took a little more time to explain the Japanese terminology. Like a definition page or at the end of each chapter an explanation of each new term she used. I felt whole hardly confused by the terminology and their meanings. As someone who is curious to know more, I felt I was left stranded with trying to determine the wording and queues. Having to rely on Google after each word, did not quite help.
In the end I give My Walk on the Aikido Path 3 out of 5 start. I felt like the journey and the discovery alone, was worth the read of the book. I have enjoyed reading Rachel Kling’s journey and growth into the person she is today. It takes a lot of guts to get a personal story, especially regarding depression, out there.
My Walk on the Aikido Path is a great read for those battling depression and anxiety. I have briefly mentioned that I battle with mental health. As I read this book, I thought to myself that if this woman can battle depression so severe, she cannot function, to become this strong woman who can do anything, so can I. I think this book is a perfect fit for anyone to read, but definitely those battling mental health.

11% in book 
"I was busy all the time, I spoke up in class, and everyone knew who I was. Except me. Inside, I was an empty shell. I had no sense of self, and when there was no one to tell me how to be or who to be, when there was nothing to react to, I was at a loss."

My comment: This is how i feel as a person in this life of mine

12% in book
"There was darkness inside of me, but it was a darkness that was alive—and cruel—pulling me under, drowning me, while I screamed and tried to hold on to the outside world. But I couldn’t."

My Comment: This is what major depression disorder is like. Personal experience

34% in book
"I was learning that there are safe places in the world. Places where love and kindness are the norm, where the goal is connection, where competition and separation, judgment, and fear have no place. With O-sensei twinkling on the shomen, and each person focused on their own development in connection with those they practice, how can this be any other way? This growing confidence was the beginning of an inkling that aikido is about relationship and connection, and not about technique."

My Comment: I love who she started that she found her safe place. We all can find it safe place. We just have to keep looking



No comments:

Post a Comment