Saturday, September 4, 2021

A Sneak Peek of the New Book!!!

The native lore is that the northern lights are the spirits of the animals that were hunted over the generations. One lore is that the lights are an evil spirit coming to claim more souls. It's said you should never whistle when the lights are out. That it would attract the spirit to you and it will claim your soul. But if you clap, it will make the lights dance and stay away from you.

I smile at that little tidbit of information I learned. When I heard another howl from the wolf, the lights danced. I knew it was time to go in and lock up. Making sure the garage was closed before going inside, I walk up the short flight of stairs in time to hear another howl.

Setting the wood down in the box by the door, I carefully latch the door and prop up the board to barricade the door from opening, in case the locks failed. I don't think a wolf would break into the house, the barricade was more for the bears. But it made me feel safe to have it up.

Dragging the box over to the wood burning stove, I put another log inside. After stroking the fire, encouraging the flames to come to life, I closed the hatch and worked my way to the couch. Sitting on the heating blanket, I sighed in relief of the heat. Just as I was starting to take my boots off, Freya sat up and growled. Slowly, I look out the window behind me. Expecting to see that wolf I heard. Instead I saw huge moose.

I pet Freya on the head as I reach out to close the curtain. “It's just a moose, Freya. You're alright.”



No comments:

Post a Comment